The Tedeschi family have been in the wine business in Valpolicella for centuries. In 1630 they first purchased vines and in 1824 Nicolò Tedeschi founded the company which bears the family name today. They are, therefore, steeped in tradition. They are not, however, inhibited by it. Indeed, it was in the early 1960s that Lorenzo Tedeschi harvested grapes from the Monte Olmi vineyard and vinified them separately from his other grapes and in so doing made the first single-vineyard wine in Valpolicella, a wine which remains the flagship of the estate.
Based in the village of Pedemonte di Valpolicella, in the hills north-west of Verona, the family operate from recently renovated cellar to which a state-of-the-art drying loft has not long been added, for grapes that will make Amarone.
The cellars are surrounded by vines, with the closest plot being the Lucchine vineyard from which a fine, fresh and fruity Valpolicella Classico is made at yields well below the levels permitted in the local DOC regulations. Today the family manages about 74 hectares of vineyard, 29 of them Tedeschi owned.
The company is now in the hands of the fifth generation since Nicolò began it all, in the form of Antonietta, Sabrina and Riccardo Tedeschi, with Riccardo acting as oenologist/winemaker.