Terms and Conditions
How this offer works
Orders by telephone, website and post will be accepted.
Orders need to arrive at Stevenage by 8pm, Tuesday 14th April, 2020 and will be processed thereafter. Members whose orders have been received by this date will receive confirmation of their purchase by 11th May at the latest.
If demand exceeds supply
The Society has a long relationship with many of the growers in this offer and access to good quantities of wine. It is possible however that demand may exceed supply for individual wines, in which case we will share out (as far as is practical) the available stock equally amongst ordering members. If this still does not allow every member to have some wine, then as a final resort we divide members into groups depending on their level of support for The Society (quantity of wine bought, spend, orders placed etc). Members who have given greater support to The Society will have a better chance (but no certainty) of being allocated wine, and those who have given less support will have a lesser chance (but still a chance). The Society will offer a similar wine as a substitute if the original choice cannot be provided.
The Society’s Members’ Reserves is a purpose-built, temperature-controlled facility offering members access to optimum storage conditions. The annual rental charge is £9.24 and includes VAT and insurance at replacement value. Any wine bought from The Society, by the unmixed or pre-mixed dozen, may be added or removed at any time. Members can also remove a few bottles of a full case stored in Reserves. Please visit here for more details.
What the price includes
- Prices shown include delivery to a UK address. They do not include excise duty or VAT.
- Payment of duty, VAT, will be requested once the wines are removed for delivery or collection from Stevenage. These will be charged at the prevailing rates (these are currently £26.78 duty per 12 75cl-bottle case and 20% VAT payable on wine and duty). Any future Government imposed tariffs, as yet unknown, could also be applicable. The wines will arrive in the UK in spring 2021.
- Once the wines arrive, members may opt to have them delivered within the UK or stored in Members’ Reserves.
Please Note: We are now required under new payment procedures to validate and authorise the total value of your order at the time it is placed. We will then take payment following allocation of the wines, which will be around 11th May. Payment will, of course, only be taken for the value of the wines allocated.
- Members, especially those living overseas, should note that only unmixed cases may be exported or transferred to an outside bond.
- Wines are offered in cases of six or three as indicated
Please read the full terms and conditions for this offer before placing your order.
We expect the demand for 2016 Barolo to be very high.
We share out oversubscribed wines as widely as possible down to a minimum practical level per member. After that, wines are allocated as fairly as possible. Please be aware that many wines will sell out and substitute wines will be used if the original choice cannot be provided.
- Website, telephone and post orders will be accepted for this offer.
Your order should arrive at Stevenage by 8pm, Tuesday 14th April, 2020.
- We may have to ration wines in order to satisfy as many members as possible.
- Members whose orders have been received by 8pm, Tuesday 14th April, 2020 will receive confirmation of their purchase by 11th May, 2020 at the latest.
Terms and conditions for ordering the 2016 Barolo
- En primeur wines are offered in a pre-mixed case or in a minimum of six bottles of any one wine (in exceptional circumstances, we may reduce orders to one bottle only per member).
The en primeur contract between us
- Your en primeur order is an offer to buy from us. A contract is not formed until we accept your order which takes place when we invoice you for the wines at the en primeur price. The en primeur offer will indicate a date by which members will receive this confirmation of their purchase.
How to order
- Members may order on the website, by telephone or post.
- The Society recommends that payment be made by debit/credit card, as there could be a difference between the value of a member’s order and that of the wines available. The Society will only charge the debit/credit card for the value of the wines allocated.
- If payment is made by cheque and The Society cannot fulfil any of the wines on the order, and if substitute wines are not available or acceptable, then your cheque will be returned to you. Otherwise, if a slightly less expensive wine is substituted, the member’s account will be credited.
- Prices shown include delivery to a UK address but exclude excise duty and VAT which is payable, at the prevailing rate, after the wines arrive at Stevenage. Please note that VAT is payable on the sum of the en primeur price paid plus excise duty. Any future Government imposed tariffs, as yet unknown, could also be applicable.
- The approximate time that the wines arrive is in spring 2021. If a particular wine is unexpectedly delayed beyond this time, we will advise members with a revised anticipated arrival date.
If demand exceeds supply
- If demand exceeds supply for any particular wine: we will seek to share stock equally amongst those members who have expressed an interest. This may mean that stock is rationed to six, three or, exceptionally one, bottle/s per member.
- This rationing is regardless of how many cases were ordered by the member. For some wines, cutting down orders in this way is sufficient action to ensure that everyone gets something, at least. However, for very oversubscribed wines, this may still not allow every member to have some wine.
- In this case we will allocate the stock. Allocations will be prioritised according to members’ levels of support for The Society (based on ordering history). Members who have given greater support to The Society will have a better chance (but no certainty) of being allocated a rationed amount of wine, and those who have given less support will have a lesser chance (but still a chance).
- Indicating a willingness to accept a substitute will not influence your chance of receiving the original wine.
Substitutes in en primeur orders
- In the absence of instructions to the contrary, if your original choice is unavailable, we will endeavour to complete your order with substitute wines.
- Substitutions will be of a similar style, quality and value. If the substitute is of a higher price, you will be charged the price of your original choice; if less expensive, you will be charged the lower price.
- If you change your mind about an en primeur order and wish to cancel it, please contact us within seven days of receipt of the Invoice/ En Primeur Order Confirmation issued by The Society following order processing. We will then reimburse the appropriate sum paid within 14 days of cancellation. Due to the unique nature of en primeur campaigns, we are unable to accept cancellations after this time.
Once en primeur wines arrive at Stevenage
- Expected to be spring 2021.
- The Society will contact members, by e-mail or post, notifying them that their wine has arrived and placed into In-Bond Members’ Reserves, and giving the opportunity for members to provide instructions for alternative storage or delivery.
- The wines will be placed automatically into In-Bond Members’ Reserves. Members may opt to have their wines delivered within the UK, stored in Duty-Paid Members’ Reserves, collected from Stevenage, exported or transferred to an outside bonded warehouse (see below).
- Please note that only unmixed cases can be exported or transferred to outside bonded warehouses (for which there will be an administration charge).
- The en primeur wines remain the property of The Society until the wines are either transferred to In-bond or Duty-Paid Members’ Reserves or are delivered/collected as instructed, when they will become the property of the member.
- The Society will remain responsible for insuring the wine at the original en primeur invoice value until they become the member’s property. Wines stored in either In-bond or Duty-Paid Members’ Reserves are insured at replacement cost.
- Should members wish to transfer any wines from In-bond to Duty-Paid Reserves, the entire quantity of that wine will need to be transferred and Duty & VAT will be payable.